Saturday, August 29, 2009

I sit here in August with the apparent onset of winter here. Reminds me of UW-O Winter Carnival from 1979. Carol (hall director) told me that we had twice as many people as any other residence hall, so we should go for it. Don't think Scott Hall had done anything in the campus activities before that, but we gave it a good run. I remember there was a snow or ice sculpting contest, a trivia contest, and of course the broom ball tournament (amongst other activities). I know some of the guys on the broom ball team were Dan, Ricky, Tom, Russ, Shoobie, and even Wenz I think (have no idea why I didn't play---seems like something I would have done). My favorite part is when I told Carol we needed more/better brooms. After much discussion she agreed, saying we could always use them for cleanup after the tournament. Of course, she wasn't very happy after we got a case of new brooms to see us sawing off the bristles so they would be more suitable for broomball. Sadly, North Scott was only able to take second place for the winter carnival. All that survives of the magnificent trophy is the face plate......guess we shouldn't have kept it on that shelf.........

No comments: